Thursday, November 21, 2013

Ch.9 Grace

1. How does Orwell create sympathy for Boxer before he is taken away in the van. Give at least examples, using quotations. 
He made you feel bad by boxer by saying "But a moment later his
face disappeared from the window and there was the sound of a tremendous
drumming of hoofs inside the van. He was trying to kick his way out." This made you feel and see how helpless he really was. He did not realize that he was walking into his own death, not getting into a bus to people trying to save them.

2. Write a journal entry from Boxer's point of view when he is taken in the van. Consider what he can see, hear, smell and feel? Be as descriptive as possible. 

Dear Friends back at the farm,
          If you are reading this, it probably means I am no longer with you and my injury killed me. Do not be fooled by my actions as I worked at the farm. I was sold short at the farm. I had some logic and I had technique. Here is my advice to you. Work hard. Working hard will get you on Napoleons good side and he will treat you better. NEVER doubt Napoleon. Doubting him will only get you killed. Let what happens happen. The dogs will hurt you. They are stronger than you and they will hurt you. Be careful. 

Your friend, 
            Boxer
3. What do you think is the biggest betrayal of Boxer:
    (a) the fact that he didn't get to enjoy his retirement 
    after working so hard?
    (b) the fact that he was killed?
    (c) the fact that his last words were misrepresented?
    (d) his remains were used to buy a case of whiskey?

Explain your answer. 

I think the biggest betrayal was when Napoleon spent the money he got from sending another animal away to be killed, to buy whiskey for himself. He did not do anything in memory of Boxer. He just spent money on himself. Boxer was the hardest working animal on the farm and Napoleon should have done something in honor of him. He Injured himself working and spent his whole life trying to help out the farm.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your responses Grace - lovely work.

    ReplyDelete